This blog will explore how Technical Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) can help improve your website’s rankings, specifically focusing on how you can optimise your WordPress Website with Technical SEO
In this months blog we will explore this following Technical SEO techniques to improve your search rankings:
- Image Optimisation
- Alt Tags and Content Naming
- Recommended Free Tools for Technical SEO
The above technical SEO methods do sound complicated, but don’t worry there is an easy way to improve these with a simple WordPress plugin!
On WordPress there are many tools which will help you to Minify these types of files:
- Hummingbird which is a free plugin which works really well.
- WP-Optimize which is also a free plugin with will minify files for performance
- Rocket WP which is a paid service which is excellent for helping improve the performance of your website; WP Rocket also address Browser Caching, which is covered in the next section
- W3 Total Cache which is a great free plugin I have used in order to improve performance of WordPress Websites, however you have to make sure you have the correct settings in order to improve your speed.
The above video from Ahrefs is a great video which shows you the correct setting for W3 Total Cache plugin and also give you many other ways in which you can improve your website performance
Optimising your images by reducing their size will help to improve your website’s performance to page speed which will in turn help with your On-Page SEO optimisation.
The WordPress plugins I recommend are:
- Smush – Which is limited unless you pay for the premium version
- EWWW Image Optimizer – Also a great plugin for optimising images
Alt Tags and Content Naming
The Alt tags for all your images is very important as it helps Google’s algorithms to know what the image is showing as the algorithm can’t see the photo so the ALT tag can help with your website’s SEO. Furthermore, if you use an image optimiser plugin like Smush / Optimole then these will compress your images and will help with PageSpeed of your website.
Free Recommended Tools for Technical SEO
Google Search Console is a great free tool which enables you to track your websites SEO performance on the Google Search Results
Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a great tool, which has a free version which allows you to crawl 500 urls, and also there is a paid version which is around £150 per year which enables you to connect Google Analytics and Google Search Console so you can analyse more data.
If you need any help with any of the above Technical SEO techniques. Please feel free to get in touch!
Explore my portfolio to see all the projects I have been working on